The Holbrook Public Library was created by an endowment from Elisha Niles Holbrook at the incorporation of the town in 1872. The original library was located in the town hall, where Zenas Aaron French served as the first librarian from the opening of the library in 1874 until 1920.
The present library was built on property donated to the town by Linda M. French in memory of her father, Zenas. The new building was opened in 1967. The children of the town helped to move the collection by forming a human chain across Holbrook Square and passed the books to their new location.
The Library’s primary role is to provide materials in various formats that encourage literacy, personal growth and development, and lifelong learning. The Library works towards fulfilling the educational, recreational, and informational needs of the community it serves by providing access to materials, programming, and services.
To accomplish our mission, the Holbrook Public Library strives to:
- Provide a collection of materials that reflect current and historical interests and trends.
- Provide a diverse collection of materials in a variety of formats (physical and electronic).
- Promote literacy through programming, services, and materials.
- Maintain a staff that is professional, courteous, and knowledgeable about services offered.
- Offer meeting space for community members to meet, gather, and interact in programs and events.
- Provide access to information by providing internet access and related classes.
- Partner with other municipal departments, organizations, and local businesses to develop to further the reach and impact of the library.
- Continually invest in the staff, technology, and the facility to provide current relatable services to the community.